Brief history of the Bahá'í Faith in Augusta
by Ms. Yvonne Harrop

The first mention of the Bahá'í Faith in the C.S.R.A.
is in the June 5th, 1912 Star of the West
(the first volume of this Bahá'í magazine),
which mentions receiving a contribution from North Augusta, SC.
In the first volume of the Bahá'í World, 1925-26
(a bi-annual world history of the Bahá'í Faith),
the Spiritual Assembly of Augusta, Ga. is listed as
one of only 41 LSAs in the USA.

It lists Anna Klebs as Secretary.
She was a Bahá'í from Green Acre, Maine,
who visited Augusta every winter in the early years of this century
and taught the Bahá'í Faith.

Daisy Jackson Moore was said to be the first Bahá'í
to enroll in the area.

Helen Claire Glover Michaels, Mrs. Martina Wise, George and Barbara Wink
were other early Bahá'ís.

Dr. Zia Bagdadi, a Persian Bahá'í physician,
came to Augusta in the mid-1930's and settled here.
He had a medical practice on 13th Street in downtown Augusta
and spent the last years of his life here and is buried in Westover Cemetary.
An annual conference has been held in Augusta honoring Dr. Bagdadi every February.

In 1986 the Bahá'ís of Augusta celebrated the fiftieth year
of its establishment in this community.
During all of that time, during the many years of racial segregation,
Bahá'ís were always faithful to the tenets of the Faith which state,
in part, "There is only one race, the human race".
The Faith promotes the teaching of Bahá'u'lláh that racial
differences must be set aside, and that prejudice of all kinds is one of
the greatest evils afflicting mankind.

Tablet revealed by Abdu'l-Bahá about Augusta