Volume 3, No. 4July 96
You belong in the Zoo... With Ernest!
by Judy Arrowood
On July 27th we will all rally to Columbia to be with Ernest in his true environment, The Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens. Animal that he is, Ernest is leading this event and offering much to see and do. Those attending this rally not only will have a nice drive to Columbia but will then have the options of going to the zoo, the botanical gardens, and/or nearby go-carting. Of course, the go-cart race will be the place to be when those of you who attended racing school can show your stuff. Then again, those of us with a couple of autocross wins under our belt will have to be careful not to get to far ahead. Too bad these little cars don't handle like our Miatas, but I digress. The day promises to be full and fun but please give Ernest a call if you plan to attend so plans can be made accordingly. Please call Ernest Van Horn at (803-748-3568). The group rallying from the Augusta area to Columbia will be meeting at the South Carolina Welcome Center at 10:00am, July 27th. See you there!
Don't Miss "Miata Games '96"...It's Not Too Late!
The Peachtree Miata Club, the north Georgia Chapter of the Miata Club of America, is proud to have been chosen by National as the host of the official National Miata Rally for 1996. This premier track and field event in Georgia will take place October 3, 4, 5 and 6, 1996. They are expecting 300 Miatas, so there still may be room for YOU. Entry fee is $325.00 per couple and $230.00 single. Lodging and additional events are extra (Autocross: $25, Decisive Driving: $75, Performance Driving: $85, and Hot Laps: $65). Barbara Blatter has entry forms and other information. Call her (706-868-9377) and she will send you a packet or call directly to registration chairperson: Merridy L. Pohlmann, (770) 448-8400, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. EDT. See more about this event in "News from the Prez. . . ".
Greetings From the Prez...
Each of the rallies has been fun, different, and unique. I am pleased to say we have had a variety of members participating each rally and even have had some prospective members join us. My thanks to the "rally masters" for each of these events as I know it takes time and coordination to make each a success.
- Since our last newsletter in February 1996, we have had several fun rallies. In February we had a great day for a "top down" drive through some beautiful country in Augusta and Columbia County areas. Five cars followed as 1 lead the group up, down, around and through to finish at Beamie's on Reynolds Street in Augusta fora great lunch.
- Although the rally master, Shawn, wished for better weather to enjoy "Funsville", he delivered a superb alternate rally March 30th. Eight cars traveled around Columbia County and ended at Monterrey's Mexican restaurant. I think we will look at "Funsville" for a day time rally in later spring or fall next year. Maybe by then they will have their parking lot paved. We all know gravel and Miata's don't go together.
- We had plenty of sun and heat for the second annual "Golf" Rally April 27th. All 4 cars started with "tops down" as Anita and I gave each car a map and which courses to find including finishing at Gordon Lakes at Fort Gordon. By the time they found us at the pitching green at Gordon Lakes, most had "tops up"! This year drivers hadto find 4 golf courses in the least amount of miles and compete in a putting toumament. Each driver's closest to the hole putt was measured and for every inch, one mile was added to their mileage. Bob and Ann Smith were the winners with 73.0 miles anda putt of 26.5 inches from the hole for a grand total of 99.5 miles. Total mileage ranged from 99.5 to 115.1 miles. Lowest 3 cars got prizes.
- The 17th of May 7 cars met Gloria at the South Carolina Welcome Center on a nice warm evening. She took us on a beautiful drive up Highway 25 and then a-left turn somewhere. After a delightful trip through trees and valleys we suddenly got to La Cantina where we met two other Master's Miata members with their guests. We had an interesting dinner by kerosene lamps. Dinner was cooked in an outdoor, clay, beehive shaped, wood fire oven. Truly a unique dining experience!
- Rally masters, Bianca and Jerry, met 3 other cars at our sponsor, Andy Jones Mazda, in North Augusta the evening of May 25th for a rally to "Wonderful Williston". They had a great evening listening to bands, dancing, eating of course, and fireworks.
- On June 29th we met Tim at the South Carolina Welcome Center for a rally to Charleston for an adventurous ride and tour on a schooner and dinner at California Dreaming. Look for a story about this rally in the next newsletter.
- Ernest has a variety ofthings available at the end of the rally July 27th: Columbia Zoo and nearby botanical gardens or go-cart racing. Let Ernest know, ASAP, which you would like to do so he can plan appropriately (803-748-3568).
See you all at the rallies!
- I finally got my reservation number for the Miata Games in Atlanta October 3-6. 1996. I registered in April with number 109. I know several other members have lower numbers. They are expecting 300 Miata, so there still may be room for YOU. Entry fee is $325.00 per couple and $930.00 single. Lodging and additional events are extra (Autocross: $95, Decisive Driving: $75, Performance Driving: $85, and Hot Laps: $65). I have entry forms and other information. Call me (706-868-9377) and I will send you a packet or call directly to registration chairperson: Merridy L. Pohlmann, (770) 448-8400, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. EDT. I will be leading a "Georgia Back Roads" rally to the Games headquarters, Crowne Plaza" Ravinia in Perimeter Center, on Thursday, October 3rd. Stay tuned for more details as we get closer to "the Games"!
- I saw member, Henry Jones, in the hospital at Fort Gordon last week. He said he was in for some treatment. Henry, we all wish you well and the power of positive thinking! We look forward to seeing you and Mary in your beautiful blue Miata when your health retums! !
- Lastly, remember the Miata Wave!!! Raise your headlights when you see another Miata. (See article in Spring 1992, Miata Magazine) Miata's '90-93 have to do it manually by pushing button above heater unless you have a diode installed (by one of your friendly Master's Miata members) so all you do is pull your turn signal stalk to you. (See article in Fall 1994, Miata Magazine). Those of you with '94 on models have that diode already installed. Many of us have these magazines (me, Shawn, Emest, Jim Creer, Jerry and Bianca and others) so if you want copies of articles let us know.
- Thanks again to our sponsor, Andy Jones Mazda in North Augusta, S.C. ! !
It's That Time Again. Dues are Due!
Membership dues are due this month. Dues are: individual, $20.00; multi-person, $20.00 for the first dues paying member and $5.00 for each additional dues paying members with a single vote for all. With your membership you receive a Master's Miata Chapter static sticker for your Miata, a customized membership card, a continued subscription to this newsletter, and discounts at a variety of local places such as Andy Jones Mazda, Rader Mazda, and Tire America. Membership also gives you a vote in all member related elections, whether it be for a change in the bylaws or for the annual election of new officers. You also are qualified to be nominated for any office in the club's structure.
Coming Soon...Customized Membership Cards!
As the membership dues are now coming in, it is also time to print new membership cards. The new card proposed will be customized with the member's name and the car in the Master's Miata Chapter's logo will have the member's car colors, both interior and exterior. If you have an emblem on your year's model, then it will be there. Be sure to completely fill out the membership renewal form. If you have added any custom items, please list them on your membership renewal form so that they can be on your car in the logo on your card. (Please wish me luck when I attempt to do Jim Creer's card!) Please keep in mind the view of the Miata in the logo. For example, a torsion bar does not show. This year's card will probably not be laminated since it is supposed to be replaced every year. God willing, the cards will be ready at the August meeting. It you have any ideas you would like to contribute to this project, please call Judy Arrowood at (706) 863-3170.
[ current newsletter |
home page ]
Last updated January 9, 1997